Thursday 27 September 2007

The Truth about Words

I try not to allow myself to do this....but there are times when I stew over conversations I have had and wish I had said things differently....there is one particular conversation that has haunted me for 2 years now ! The main reason being is that the conversation ended in a bad way which will have left the group involved with a wrong impression of who I am or even how I feel - my own fault and the chances are that particular group (who I only see every2/3 years) will not have given it another thought since that day. ANYWAY...that is not the reason for my blogging today - the following is, but guess the above sets the context for why I felt I needed to blog:-

Whilst doing some housework last night, I found the following poem written by one of my children (I have permission to use it, by the way) :-

Truth

Sticks and stones may break my bones,
but words can also hurt me.
Stones and sticks break only skin,
while words are ghosts that haunt me.

Slant and curved the word-swords fall,
to pierce and stick inside me.
Bats and bricks may ache through bones,
but words can mortify me.

Pain from words has left its scar,
on mind and heart that's tender.
Cuts and bruises now have healed;
it's words that I remember.

WOW ! We have since discussed the circumstances that surrounded the writing of this poem and all is well. But what truth is contained in this very mature poem.

There are occasions when I over hear conversations about people and sometimes to people, that really are like a word-sword. I need the courage to challenge those conversations more.

Everyone at Church is equally important, whether we "like" them or not. Sometimes no words is as painful as harsh words....being ignored leaves its scar too.

Question for the day:- Do Actions really speak louder than words?
I think they do....BUT in the light of these feelings put down in a poem - I wonder !

Sorry this has turned into a mega-blog...thanks for taking the time to read and possibly comment.

My final prayer for myself today is "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight O Lord".

4 comments:

Liz said...

Hey Ann, amen to that. I was in a situation the other week where a person was pouring scornful words into my ear about this person and that person and I didn't have the courage to challenge them about it. I really wanted to walk away, but kind of got round it by chatting to other people as they walked past in the hope that the person would note that I wasn't actually listening to them. I have been bothered about that - my lack of words empowered the other person to say hurtful things.
Amazing poem, by the way - what do our children go through sometimes?

Ann said...

Kids can be so cruel to each other at times ! But then how cruel are adults too? At least kids have the "growing up" thing as an excuse !
Guess we both need a big dose of courage to speak up :-)

Unknown said...

Great poem! Agh! Poem's say so much!

Jude said...

I agree Kirst! So tru that words hurt soooo much more than 'physical' hurt. And it's so easy to be mis-understood by what we say.
1 of my closest friends has been deeply hurt & shaken up by something a christian housemate said & I desperatly wish I could have had the coversation with her instead. But oh well!